Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Careening the Sixareen

My poor Sixareen Cape. She suffered from multiple errors in the pattern that turned her into an upside down knit funnel for a pinhead. Witness:


Kate Davies admitted Mistakes Were Made, and I recently received my copy of the corrected pattern, and a copy of Snawheid by way of apology. So now it's time to frog the top section down to the start of the decreases and do it all over again, this time with better instructions. So frog I did, 3 skeins' worth, ending with a very kinky pile of yarn.


Not to worry. A soak in tepid water, a squeeze, air dry,  rewind, and we're ready to go again. It makes a relaxing alterknit to the Shepherd. so light, such straightforward stockinette stitch, I can do it while watching subtitled movies. Onward and upward with all the kinks out.


But the experience of this and the Shepherd have tempered my rabid fandom for Ms Davies. I still love her vision, I share a love of Real Wool, of Scotland, the Shetland Isles, and traditional designs and techniques. But she seriously needs a technical editor, a good one, so that her acolytes don't need to knit themselves wigs after tearing their hair out trying to make her designs.

P.S. What's a Sixareen? Look it up. What's careening? Look it up.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm just about to buy the Sixareen pattern online, and am assuming it has been corrected. Do you happen to know? Thanks much, Michelle (asker of, perhaps, a crazy question)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the pattern was amended after many of us had problems with shoulder shaping and yarn quantities. Whether it was all adequately addressed, I have no idea. It might be a good question to ask in the Ravelry Kate Davies forum. Good luck with your cape!

    ReplyDelete