Thursday, January 9, 2014

Farewell , Old Friend


I have a favorite sweater, one that has been with me for a long time. I love its colors, the way the simple pattern shows off those colors to best advantage, and I enjoyed knitting it long ago. Because it's such a great match of yarn and pattern, I have always gotten compliments when I wear it.

I made it, oh, probably at least 20 years ago with a Vogue Knitting pattern and Colinette yarn, back in the day when multi-colored yarn was rare, and Colinette dyed plain-textured wool in finer gauges as well as the wild stuff they're known for today. I had a rummage for the pattern and yarn, but they are lost in the mists of time or the family move from the UK to the US.

 I've become a smaller person in the past year, and just recently caught a glimpse of myself in this sweater. Oh dear. It is huge. And not in an oversized-cosy-sweater way. More like a knitted-tent sort of way.

I even had a brief seizure of "I'll unravel it and steam the yarn and make it up into something smaller", but reality quickly reasserted itself as I thought about how many of the items in my Heap of Malfunctioning Rubble may have landed there because it was apparent they would turn out to be a size or 3 too small.  Much wiser to invest my effort in something from the Heap, so I will wash and block my old friend, and donate it with other undergrown clothing. Maybe someone else will enjoy having a sweater that gets compliments, and they can say, "Can you believe it? Hand knitted, and I think it's wool, and it only cost me $5 at Value Village!"

No comments:

Post a Comment