Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns

Welcome to National Knitting and Crochet Blog week! Sounds kind of corny, but sometimes a blogger needs a motivating elbow in the ribs, and this is a good one.  The idea is to blog every day of the week on a topic suggested by Eskimimi, the founder.  Today's subject is A Tale of Two Yarns.
Both of my yarns are from Nepal. (I'll bet that makes my post stand out in the crowd!)  Both are single ply, undyed, just as nature (or the spinner) made them.  Both are unique, rare fibers.  And one I have found very useful, while I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the other.

Yarn One:  Aloo, made from the stems of a nettle-like plant.  The plant seems to work much like hemp--it has dozens of great uses, one of which is fiber from the stems for making fishing nets, storage bags, etc.  The yarn is very hard and strong, very resistant to breakage.

I made a sturdy market bag with most of it, and the remainder is currently becoming a cover for a stainless steel water bottle (more about that when it's a FO) bejeweled with red beads.

Yarn Two: Banana fiber, produced by a Nepali vocational school, and nothing like either the aloo (except in color) or the bright "banana silk" you see when you search the interwebs.  It's soft, both to touch and with weak tensile strength.  It couldn't be a shopping bag.

I think its destiny lies perhaps in the dyepot, and after that as a scarf.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment